Wednesday, March 26, 2003

San Francisco Rocks

Word of warning, this is going to be a looooong entry.

Ok so the screensavers was absolutely awesome. Sean and I didn't get to do the intro to the show, which was disappointing, but we know why. There was this little like 8 year old, who had been taking acting schools and could memorize the lines and everything really well so they picked him to do it by himself. That's why we decided to go see another showing. Especially since there was almost no one at this showing. Meghan was out on leave, Martin was down at Daytona Beach for spring break, and Leo was out with his mom or something like that. We did get to sit down and talk with Pat though. He was really cool. He gave a signed picture of himself and Martin, and sean and I won a bouncy ball and a CD respectively. The guest coordinator guy, Angelo, ended up kicking us out before we had finished talking with Pat, but oh well. So then Sean drove us down to Charm's house and we go there and had a wonderful dinner.

Now for the San Francisco day...

So Sandy and I talked to Charm the night before we were going to go to San Francisco and Charm told us that she hated the city and really didn't feel like going, so we told her that we would go and have fun that and she stay and do the same. So we woke up at 7:20 in the morning, had Charm drive us out to the CalTran train station. It only took us an hour by train to get all the way up into the City. We had sat down the night before with a map to figure out what it was we wanted to do when we got there and on the list was Chinatown. That was close so that's where we started at. What a mistake that turned out to be. It started off kind of creepy, because there was this guy that followed us into the store and he was really talking legibly at all about anything, but we think he was asking for money. The store owner chased him out and we waited around to let him go so that we could go down the street that he was on. He finally looked like he had left so we went out and on up to another store. We were standing outside the store looking at some stuff but then I saw out of the corner of my eye the man coming towards us. I said casually to Sandy, "Let's go inside," but she didn't catch on. Luckily, he got way laid with something for a bit and didn't come right over. I went back and got Sandy, but that time he had come over and was following us into the store. Once again, the store owner came to our rescue, but this time the guy got ticked and started yelling and pushing her and the owner from across the street came and helped, but the man was still yelling. So the police were called and Sandy I looked around in the store fairly thoroughly. Now for the real reason that going to China town was such a mistake. The stores were so awesome! They had all kinds of swords and knives, this silk outfits that were just gorgeous, and display stuff up the wazoo. We spent about 2 and half hours just going through this types of stores. It was so much fun.

After shopping we decided it was lunch time so we went to a place there in China town. The place was called Chan's and we had orange chicken and shredded chicken, with pan fried noodles. I didn't know what pan fried noodles were when i got them but they sounded good. And the noodles were, the chicken was really bad and so was the vegetable that was in there, but oh well. After that we went and walked over to the bus intent on getting to Ghiradelli square. Sandy I loved the skyline!! Oh my gosh! When we first go there I was just staring up at the buildings. I still can't get over it, I know maybe someday I would get tired of looking at the buildings, but it would take awhile. I loved all those big buildings and they were so gorgeous! Anyway, we made it to the bus, which we bought a day pass for that allowed us access to everything that involved public transportation there, the trolley, the bus, and the cable cars. That was cool.

So now we went to Ghiradelli square and the first thing that we see is an amazing view of the Bay with a huge three masted sailing ship sticking up and creating a most spectacular view. That's when we decided we should get some batteries for Sandy's camera. Upon putting new batteries in, it decided not to work. So no pictures for the trip but oh well. We have memories (that's why this entry is so detailed). So we went into the chocolate shop on a mission for Mary's chocolate covered caramels that are so good. We found something that looked close, but it didn't really look like them. So I called Mary (who was in REI, great store as well) and asked her what the name was for sure, and they didn't quite match, but they were the only thing that were even close in the whole of the stores so I got some anyway. I'll give Mary hers and we'll see if that's the right stuff. I also got myself some more chocolate chips for cookies that are, oh-so-good. When I got up to the counter to pay they had, in a wonderful display case, some of the most beautiful looking chocolate covered strawberries that I've ever seen. I just had to get one. I about died with just one bite, oh my gosh. There have only been a very few things that ranked up as high as this strawberry. It was a small taste of heaven. Anyway, after that, I had been reccomended by a trustworthy source to try some of the ice cream. So Sandy and I split a hot fudge sunday. The fudge was expectedly amazing.

We finally made it out of Ghiradelli square. We took the bus over to this thing called the Palace of Fine Arts and Explorartorium, which is the money making front for this breathtaking re-creation of greek architecture that is a tribute to Man's artistry and skill. Built shortly after the commpletion of the Panama Canal as a tribute to both the canal's completetion and the rebuidling of San Francisco itself. The building had a short life of 30 years or during which time it had changed hands between the city and the army becase of WWII. Eventually the building was completely excavated and rebuilt, this time to last a lot longer. I was just awe struck by this structure and now have an even stronger desire to go and spend a month or more in Europe. This trip has proven to me how much more I need to travel, just for the sake of traveling. After gawking at the building for a goodly amount of time we went inside the exploratorium, which is your typical hands-on learning museum. It was a lot of fun, we didn't get all the way through the thing before it closed and we spent a good 2 hours in there. After it closed we went and gawked some more at the building and went to the lakeside. We saw some ducks and Sandy started trying to communicated, I shortly joined in and we stood there for probably 20 mins making different noises across the water. We managed to call the Seagulls, ducks, loons and a swan over to our part of the lake. The swan even came out of the water to meet us. We backed up so that it didn't steal our chocolate, but we thanked it for its gesture. After that we walked back to the bus singing on the street and then continued singing on the bus. We entertained some little kids with our singing for awhile, then we busted into Weird Al. Good times. ;)

The bus dropped us off back over by Ghiradelli square, I was tempted to go back in and get some more chocolate, but then I didn't. We walked over to where the cable car starts. We road it to the end, which was over in Union Square. After getting off there, we found a Jazz steak house advertising "Live Music Every night!" We couldn't resist, but that place was too expensive so we went to the one across the street. A very nice band, the service sucked and some of the food was really, really good (like the cheese tortillini I got and the pasta penne that Sandy got) but the othe food wasn't so good (namely the bread, and the spinach, artichoke, ricotta cheese ravioli I got, it sounded good...). We thoroughly enjoyed the music though. Then we took the trolley back to the other end with intent on going to fisherman's wharf, because I thought it was alive at night. Well it was dead. So we got back on a bus and were going to go home, but when we got to the train station realized that we had missed the train by like 10 mins and would have to wait 2 hours for the next one. But we made it home and passed out on the couch shortly thereafter. Yay for an absolutely awesome day!!! I want more days like this. Well that's all for now. Byee.

No comments: