Sunday, May 18, 2003

Dissappearing Post

So it's been awhile since I posted, but it doesn't seem like it to me. I wrote out a big hugeo post on the 14th and swear up and down that I remember posting it. Obviously that's not what happened, but what can you do. Maybe I dreamed about it.

Anyway, let's go back. Ok Wildflower. Wildflower was awesome. It rained all friday night and most of Saturday, but it was still way awesome. I had a 4 am shift on Saturday so I decided that it would be easier to just stay up all night long. A girl by the name of Jennifer Grant or Jenn decided that was a good course of action too. Especially since it was raining and I haven't found a tent yet that doesn't let water inside. So we stayed up all night talking. The next day was a lot of work, I did however sleep for about an hour. Under my poncho. Without neck support. Look at the picture here. That was the only dry place that I could go and I was freezing my butt off. The entire weekend I just kept adding clothes out of my bag on top of the clothes that I was wearing so that I would be warmer. I ended up with like four layers which is a record high for me I think. Anyway, during wildflower we ended up making about 3,200 peanut butter and jelly sandwhiches. We also were in charge of dinner, which was hamburgers, but the people that supply the food messed up and somehow didn't get us our order. So we had about 800 drunk, stupid, hungry, and tired college students standing in a line for about an hour and half while we waited for the people to get us the food we needed to feed them. That was a disaster. Anyway we survived that. We then had some food of our own that was most excellent. Then after everyone was comfy and really full, and just about ready for bed (or at least sitting around doing nothing), we find out that we have to make about 250 more lunches. We all jumped to the task as fast as we could without moaning and pumped those babies out in 20 mins. Even though a fair number of us were pretty buzzed at that point. I was impressed. So that night I stayed up all night again, again with Jenn's company, but also this time with about 8 other people. We played a game of "I've never" and then changed it to "I have." I managed to score a lot of points the way you were supposed to go on both of those games. There are so few things that I haven't done and so many things that I have done that no one else has. There's another great picture of how we kept warm that night here. So then we packed up and went home that morning. Though I did get about another hour of sleep that day...on a picnic bench...but it was way cool because I got woke up to food lying on my chest. I was eating it before I was fully awake, that was way cool. Thank you Lyle. Then I went home and that was the end of Wildflower.

So the next weekend was a fencing tournament at UC Davis. That was easily the best tournament that I have been to yet. Oh did I mention that I got 2nd place? Not only did I get 2nd place but I almost had first and missed by 1 point in a beautiful bout. Even though I lost I didn't have any of the frustrations that I normally have after losing a bout. The ones about "I should have done this" or "I did this completely wrong" No, my mind was completely in focus for that tournament. Even when I made a stupid mistake I was able to let it go. I think that's why I got as far as I did. I was very calm and very relaxed through the whole thing. After losing at the end though I had soooo much pent up energy so I went and did a whole crapload of pushups really fast and then challenged the 280 pound 6'5'' (or something taller than me by alot) Trevor to a wrestling match. Most excellently fun, once again wrestled him til he shook my hand. Then I wrestled Will. By that time I was most certainly done burning energy. I forgot to mention. Before the tournament I was staying at Mary's house and before I went to sleep there we went to see X2 (that was the second time for me) I was soooo incredibly tired I couldn't believe it. I was falling asleep watching X2 a second time in a matter of days. So when we got back I just passed out on her floor, until I woke up the next morning at 7 to go to the tournament. I was also being given a hard time by Patrick and Chelsea for not having gone to stay at Patrick's house. I also had them riding with me along with Tracy. That was most excellent since before I was going to be driving up there all by my lonesome. So instead of going to Mary's on Saturday night I just went to Patrick's house, that way I could just take the people in my car and go. Patrick's mom was very gracious. Once again I have been overwhelmed by the hospitality that the families of my friends so willingly extend forward. I'm really looking forward to spending some time at Chelsea's grandparent's house this summer. That is going to be a blast. Oh, another thing I forgot to mention, I spent a large majority of the tournament day talking with Jenn. That was most excellent. In fact, I talked with her right up to the point that she left to go see a way cool "Who's line is it anyway?" show at Lake Tahoe. I'm so jealous, but that's a nice seguay into my next weekend.

So this past weekend was most excellent weekend as well. I would have to say near the best of the three. Sandy Jean Starr has been telling me since I met her that I need to go to LA with her and see Comedy Sportz. So we finally did. Comedy Sportz is a most excellent improv group. I had so much fun watching and my face was hurting from laughing so hard. I think the highlight was that they played this game they called "blind date." What this game entailed was taking two members of the audience getting some information from them about their hobbies and that kind of thing. So I was chosen as one of the audience members. After asking me a large number of questions they then asked the people that came with me "If they could describe me in one word what would it be?" Simultaneously three people said "Bad-Jokes" followed by an assent from a fourth. The guy who was playing me apparently has a reknowned talent for bad jokes. He did a marvelous job, the highlight being thus. He gets a phone call and answers with "Did you want to marry me?....Because you gave me a ring!!! Hahahahaha" Isn't that the greatest thing you've ever heard. Well ok maybe not the greatest but it's really funny. I'm going to be putting that as my voicemail message. Oh another thing I forgot to mention, they had this guy named "the voice" who told a "groan foul" joke. (ie. bad joke) The joke he told was not only really funny (in my opinion), but a joke that I had told on several occasions, only slightly modified. I was really pretty happy about that. Something else I didn't mention on about this trip, which is probably part of the reason it was so much fun. I didn't have to drive and Jenn came. We were in the backseat of the car for the entire trip down and back up just talking and laughing and having a grand old time. I can't remember talking with anyone that long, so many different times in such a short period of time. I'm thinking something is going on here, but I'm not going to jinx it just yet. By the way she is the one on my right in the "keeping warm" picture above.

So I got my Sammot's graduation announcement! In a matter of just 2 weeks I shall be going to see my little sister graduate. I feel so old. I'm so proud of her though, she has gone through a lot of hard times, but now...walking down that path she is starting on the journey of her choosing and doing it a beautiful and very grown-up young woman. She is going to bring happiness to a lot of people and be a good influence on countless others. I know that I've got a forever friend and the truest kind of family in her. My best wishes and I'll see you in three weeks!

Let's see some other stuff that has been going on. We have started elections for Ballroom for next year's officer board. There was some issues flying around a while back spurred by some rumors that I wasn't wanted as president next year and that caused me a great deal of duress, because those same rumors also said that the club hadn't been doing a good job and shouldn't be running it next year. I took some very personal offense to this obviously, but the matter was cleared up and found to be misconstrued in a "game" of telephone. Right now next year's officer board stands as me, Sandy, Lyle, Brian, Patti, Kenny, and then we have one space to fill and there is a runoff between Julia and Nick to see who gets the publicist spot. We won't know for sure until after next thursday. In the meantime the club has been doing great. We regulary fill Oddfellows for the sunday lessons and pack as many people as we can into Architecture 225 for our thursday lessons. We have also had someone volunteer to be our sponsor for next year. He actually comes to the lessons, so that would be great if he takes on the responsibility.

Well I think that's all for now. I've made up for several of the days that I missed, though that's no excuse. I need to see about updating this a little more regularly. See ya.

No comments: