I am starting down the long (and potentially expensive) path of designing, installing, and implementing a custom carputer.Â I plan on using this blog not only to share my adventures, but to help organize all my ideas.Â Thus begins the feature list:
- 7" Touchscreen interface
- Additional 4.5" LCD monitor
- Micro-ATX form factor for the computer
- GPS integration
- Media player (mp3, mpeg, jpeg, etc...)
- Engine stats via OBDII
- Engine diagnostics
- Maintenance Log with reminders
- Digital Environmental Controls
- Voice activated controls
- Trip logs
All this will be integrated into one slick interface.
Other low-priority possibilities include:
- Door lock and trunk control
- Bluetooth auto-unlocking from phone application
- Window control
- External sensors (ie. weather sensors, IR, tire pressure, etc...)
- External Cameras, automatically engaged with reverse
- Car Alarm
- Customized profiles based on driver with some sort of auto recognition (keyed fobs, voice recognition, something...)
I know there is software already out there that does all of this, but I'm looking at this as a learning tool and an exciting hobby.Â I plan on using quite a bit of third party components, but I want to integrate them all myself.Â I plan on this all being based off of a Linux OS.Â Probably something like LFS so I am aware of every package installed on the system.
So here is the first draft of my carputer requirements.Â I will most likely be editing this page as new ideas pop into my head, or initial ideas are refined.Â I will also be using the tag system to expand on my adventures with each feature.Â OBDII will be first up on that list, since I already have an OBDII to USB connector, compliments of Sean (thanks for the birthday present!).